Tuesday, April 21, 2020

TIMOR-LESTE: MUSIC AND DANCE

The music of Timor-Leste reflects its history, borrowing on Portuguese and Indonesian traditions to develop its own styles. Many of the instruments used reflect this as well: from different drums like the babadok and gamelan imported from Indonesia to guitars that are used in Portuguese music. Even at that, they did have their own stringed instruments that were played in similar fashion to European guitars.


There are quite a few dances performed in Timor-Leste, most with Indonesian backgrounds. One that stands out is the likurai dance. Originally, it was a dance that women performed as the men came home from war, danced to the rhythms of a small drum and sometimes danced with the heads of their enemies (clearly, we are lacking in decapitated head dances). Today, it’s been modernized as a dance for courtship (the decapitated head part comes later, I’m guessing).


As the 20th century progressed, music was used as a catalyst for the independence movement. One song by the band Dili Allstars was used as an anthem of sorts to gain momentum going into the referendum vote. In fact, even the UN got in on the inspirational song game and commissioned a song that encouraged people to get out and vote. Like a Timorese version of Rock the Vote, I guess.

Dili Allstars
I didn’t find too many musicians on Spotify, but I did find a couple. The first one I listened to, and probably the most notable band, is Dili Allstars. I listened to their Best Of album. As a rock band, their sound really varies from song to song. Some of them sound like 80s/90s rock, some sound like reggae or ska, and some have a tinge of the blues in it. It’s all really catchy; I liked it all. And they sing in English, Portuguese, and I’m guessing Tetum.

Ego Lemos
The other album I listened to on Spotify was by Ego Lemos. This was heavily based on the acoustic guitar and had a folk sound to it. It’s primarily sung in Tetum. I don’t know much about the Tetum language, but I’m imagining from its spellings that it’s probably an easy language to sing in. There are some songs that remind me of the 70s band America or even Simon & Garfunkel. I could really listen to this on a rainy afternoon while I was trying to chill. I’m quite impressed with this.

Up next: the food

No comments:

Post a Comment