Saturday, August 12, 2017

PARAGUAY: MUSIC AND DANCE


The folk music of Paraguay is deeply rooted in European musical traditions. One of the styles that has become iconic in Paraguay is the polka. However, what’s different between Paraguayan polka and European-style polka is that European style is based on more binary rhythms and Paraguayan styles combine binary rhythms with ternary rhythms.


Another popular form of folk music is the zarzuela, a Spanish-influenced form that blends operatic lyrical music with dance. The Paraguayan form drew in elements of Paraguayan polka and Guaraní music (and the Guaraní language). 


Many of the instruments commonly used in Paraguayan music were brought over from Europe, like the Spanish guitar and the harp. The harp was one of the first instruments introduced to the native Paraguayans and has been in use since the 1500s. It was far more practical to use in religious services rather than an organ or harpsichord. Typically, it’s made of mahogany or other tropical woods, and the number of strings can vary between 32-46 strings. Although it stands nearly 5’ tall, it is fairly light in construction. The Paraguayan harp is often considered the national instrument. 


I had already mentioned that polka was a popular form of music, so it’s not hard to imagine that the polka dance is also a popular dance form as well. Another dance that is known throughout the country is the bottle dance; it’s signature move is that the performer dances around while balancing a glass bottle on their head. There isn’t a specific musical style associated with this dance, so many different forms can be used to accompany this dance. 


As far as trying to find some bands that were from Paraguay, I had to do a little more digging around than usual. Typically, Wikipedia has been a great resource for listing a bunch of bands or musicians from a country to start with, and I’d go look them up on Spotify. But this one was lacking. However, I did manage to find a few. First of all, I listened to the band Flou. I loved them from first listen. Definitely in the nu metal category, they were loud, but their instrumentals were driving and clean. They kind of reminded me of Disturbed a little bit along with a bunch of other bands. However, they do have a slower, more melodic side to them that I also liked.


Revolber is another hard rock band I listened to. I liked what I heard from them –at times they have almost a punk or ska sound to their music. I think it’s pretty catchy stuff. They remind me a little of Los Rabanes from Panama.


Paiko is a rock-pop band. I listened to several of their songs, and they have quite a range in styles from rock to reggae to almost a country sound. I’m not a fan of the country sound, but the other stuff was decent.


By now, you should know I have a penchant for punk music. Area 69 fell into this category, and I quite enjoyed it. It was more of that pop-punk style, but that didn’t matter. I still thought it was kind of fun.


I also listened to Kchiporros. It’s hard to explain, but it’s very much Latin pop mixed with reggae. I really like it a lot. It’s very danceable. I found myself listening to it longer than some of the others – although I’m not exactly sure how to pronounce it.

It was hard to find any rappers or hip-hop artists from Paraguay. Not too many popped up for me. However, I did come across one called Rapper Soul. I listened to a few of his tracks. He’s got the rap-rock thing down – kind of in the style of Rage Against the Machine (one of my favorite bands). And like Rage or even Red Hot Chili Peppers, they also incorporate elements of funk into their music as well. I seriously wish I could find more of their stuff.

Up next: the food

No comments:

Post a Comment