Sunday, October 21, 2018

SOLOMON ISLANDS: MUSIC AND DANCE

I'm not sure why I typically think of panpipes as being an Andean thing in South America. But truth be told, panpipes are used in a variety of cultures all over the world. Panpipe orchestras are a popular ensemble in the Solomon Islands, especially on the islands of Guadalcanal and Malaita. Some of these ensembles have up to ten performers, each using a different tuning. Vocal music, both solo or in groups, is probably at the core of their traditional music and is either sung a capella or sometimes accompanied by different instruments along with the percussion instruments like the slit-drum.

During the early part of the 20th century, bamboo music, made by hitting the ends of cut bamboo tubes with coconut husks, became a popular form of music throughout several Pacific countries. (Now I know where the Blue Man Group got the idea.) By the 1950s, music started to change. Edwin Nanau Sitori, a Malaita-born musician who worked as an electrician, became famous for his song "Walkabout long Chinatown," which became so popular the government considered their unofficial "national song." Today, rock and reggae dominate their musical styles along with a genre known as island music, an ensemble consisting of guitars and ukuleles.


Dance has always been an integral part of the culture of Solomon Islands, like much of Oceania. It’s often accompanied by panpipe or bamboo music. Different islands have their own dances, and there are dances performed by men and ones performed by women. Dances are performed for a variety of purposes (life events, weather events, other ceremonial events, etc.), and the island of Tikopia is probably more known dance enthusiasm.


I listened to the song “Rorogwela” by Afunakwa. It was at the heart of a controversy because this lullaby was sampled in a French pop song, and apparently they never got permission to use it. It’s a simple song, but I can also tell they use quite a few embellishments in their music. It always throws me off when I first hear it until I listen closer.


Probably one of the most widely known musicians from Solomon Islands is Sharzy. His music is like reggae but also makes use of those vocal harmonies that reminds me of some New Zealand music I’ve heard.

Dezine is another one I listened to. It’s like a cross between pop and hip-hop. I liked what I heard. I might give this one a longer listen later on.

There are quite a few reggae musicians here, which makes me happy. The first one I listened to was JahBoy. It’s more of a dance reggae, but not quite dancehall. I would also put 56 Hop Rod in that same category too. I could definitely put this on while driving or working or whatever.

However, groups like Onetox and Jah Roots remind me more of a traditional reggae, without the heavy hip-hop and club influence and with definite upbeats. It’s the little things.  

Up next: the food

No comments:

Post a Comment